My WAN miniport has gone missing. I accidentally deleted it durring some computer troubleshooting. Do you know how to get it back short of a complete Windows re-install?
Howard S. Jordan
It’s been a while since I’ve been in this situation, but this should work:
- Download devcon.exe from some Microsoft site.
- Open netrasa.inf in c:\windows\inf
- Look for the section [Msft.NTx86]
- In the DeviceID column, you can see the installable devices.
- Run this command to install the WAN Miniport (PPTP):
devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PptpMiniport
- You can install the other devices similarly. I think you will need MS_L2tpMiniport, MS_PtiMiniport, MS_NdisWanIp, MS_PppoeMiniport additionally
Let me know if this helps you.
If you have any questions that you want Jim to answer, from business servers to home computers, drop him a line at firstname.lastname@example.org, and he’ll try to answer your question. Check back every Monday for a new Question and Answer session, and check back Wednesday and Friday for other technical insights.